Bananas bring me a lot of joy in the afternoon and the evening, but NEVER in the morning — unless of course, I want to take a morning nap. 🙂 You see, the banana aids in getting you to relax because it contains melatonin, serotonin and magnesium. So, next time someone tells you to grab a banana for energy – tell them to take a hike. 🙂 Whoever came up with that theory needs to take Nutrition 101.
I can eat 6-10 at a go. “Woah, that’s a lot, Vivien!” Yes, it’s a lot, but easy when you put them in a blender. My pals can easily devour whole pizzas in one sitting, yet find it hard to believe that I can eat up to 10 bananas in a single meal.
“But Vivien, I don’t want to gain weight. Bananas are high in calories. *grabs Diet Coke and potato chips*
Look in the mirror and repeat after me, “Bananas are not fattening.” If I had a pound or dollar for the many times I’ve heard someone tell me that. I eat tons of bananas every day and still weigh the same. Your body will digest the ripe banana completely unlike a bag of chips. Low carb dieters need to wake up and smell the great genus Musa family.
Notice I said ripe banana? You should aim to eat only ripe bananas. Perhaps someone taught you to refuse them. Well, you must embrace them because they’re so delicious and good for you.
*gives ripe banana*
Here’s what I usually eat for a quick meal:
- 6-10 RIPE bananas (depending on my hunger)
- Ice cubes
- A little bit of Coconut Water or plain water (sometimes I use rice milk) 🙂
- Optional: Hemp Seeds
“Okay, why ripe bananas?”
“I’ve got some green bananas now. Tell me there’s a way to ripen them fast!”
“I’ll only eat bananas if they’ll make me younger looking and beautiful.”
Benefits of Loving Bananas:
- Anti-aging properties here we come! Bananas carry vitamins A, B6, C, E, F, iodine, potassium, magnesium, zinc, and iron. These gems will keep your skin looking young.
- Your heart loves bananas. The potassium keeps your heart in tip top shape.
- Marvelous for your kidneys and bones. Thanks again to potassium! 🙂 The potassium restrains calcium excretion in your urine – minimizing the risk of nasty kidney stones. Say goodbye to osteoporosis! Mr Banana keeps you from losing calcium from you body.
- Bananas can kick depression and the blues to the curb. Tryptophan to the rescue! Tryptophan produces serotonin in your body, which will calm your brain and make you relaxed – oh, and sleepy.
- Calling all insomniacs! Try introducing bananas and see if it helps you get some shuteye.
- They’ll help keep you regular. Your colon will love you because of the fiber.
- Suffering from gout? Arthritis? Don’t fret my pet! Mr Banana is here to help. Bananas contain B6, folate and vitamin C – all enemies of gout and arthritis.
- Bananas make an awesome hair conditioner because of its wonderful effects on the scalp. The effects must be greater if you eat them!
- Too much whiskey Saturday night? Don’t worry! Put that coffee down and grab a banana. It’ll raise your blood sugar levels and re-hydrate your body.
- Low iron levels? Anemia? Bananas can activate the production of hemoglobin in your blood.
- Ulcers? Bananas neutralise acidity and lessens irritation by coating the lining of your stomach.
- Too stressed out? Potassium sends oxygen to the brain and normalises your heartbeat. It won’t take your problems away, but it’ll make them more tolerable. 🙂
- Are you a smoker? Bananas help cigarette addicts give up smoking. The B6, B12, magnesium and potassium assist in getting rid of nicotine withdrawal symptoms.
- Bananas contain prebiotics, which help stimulate the growth and activity of pre-existing good bacteria in your digestive system. Your gut wins!
- Prevents strokes and hypertension
- Relieves heartburn
- Ripe bananas can help prevent cancer
|Top 10 banana producing nations
(in million metric tons)
|Source: 2009 data, Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations
* Countries use 2008 FAO data