If you’ve been following me for a while, you’ll know that I’m a massive health foodie and a staunch believer in eating superfoods. You may have heard others use the term “superfood” before when mentioning foods like kale, goji berries, acai, maca, lucuma, or raw cacao.
But for those who haven’t heard of this term before – superfoods are basically foods that contain higher levels of vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants. Well, did you know that the humble avocado is a beloved superfood? Yes, that means you can eat loads more guacamole and never feel guilty again.
You can add avocados to just about anything. I’ve been known to eat them for breakfast, lunch, dinner, and even as a quick snack. I love adding an avocado to my banana smoothie because it makes it creamier. I know it sounds weird, but it actually tastes delicious.
As you can tell, avocados are one of my top favourite foods to eat. I love them so much that I wanted to share with you the benefits of eating ripe avocados.
Ripe Avocados Taste Better
3-6 days too much?
Health Benefits of Avocados:
- Prevents hair loss and promotes growth because of its high vitamin B and E content.
- Prevents cancer by neutralising and restricting the growth of precancerous cells. Scientists from Ohio State University found that the phytochemicals from avocados kill the precancerous cells by raising the amount of active oxygen in the cells.
- Avocados are not fattening! Good fats like avocados are valuable to your diet and brain.
- Want lovely glowing skin? Eat avocados! It’s monounsaturated fats give your complexion a healthy boost making your skin youthful looking.
- Great for your heart. The folate in avocados lessen your chance of getting heart disease and strokes.
- Want cataracts? I hope you said no. Eat avocados and its carotenoid lutein will kick cataracts and other age-related eye diseases in the butt!
- Lowers cholesterol because of its beta-sitosterol, a compound shown to lower cholesterol levels.