By: Vivien Veil
Do you read the food ingredients on the products you buy? Yes, it takes a lot more time, but doing so will ultimately save your life – oh, and not to mention your family’s life. Plus, as an added bonus, checking ingredient names can help you lose 10 pounds. The U.S. National Health Interview Survey asked 25,000 Americans about their food shopping habits. Those who inspected their food possessed lower body max indexes than their counterparts. Imagine losing weight without getting off the couch – simply by reading food labels!
Thanks to adverts and news coverage supporting Proposition 37 (the act of labeling genetically modified foods), people now understand the dangers of GMOs in their food. But that’s not all. The very controversial subject of Proposition 37 has even lured some people to go a step further – researching unfamiliar and hard to pronounce ingredients.
We should closely scrutinize our food
Those shrewd individuals realized they can’t blindly trust their food providers, especially when it comes to their health. After all, you only get one body. Furthermore, food manufacturers are doing every sneaky thing in the book to try and deceive us even more – like using different names for trans fat, high fructose corn syrup and monosodium glutamate (MSG).
Long and confusing words on our food labels belong in a science lab – not in our kitchens.
Shock came upon one of our contributing writers, Shannon Murphy, after reading a recent article about the harmful effects of genetically modified crops. She couldn’t believe she had been feeding herself and her family GMOs. She immediately emailed me photos of 11 popular brands in her kitchen, and asked me to please examine them for her. Murphy told me, “I’m so confused! I don’t know how to tell if my packaged food has GMOs or not. I know a lot of people eat these things that I have emailed you, so please share your findings with our readers.” Well, Mrs. Murphy, your wish is my command.
My findings blew me away! I’m amazed to see corn and soy in almost everything! And why is there corn in ice cream?
Look at the results below, and please try and learn the names of these unhealthy and brutal ingredients. Eventually you’ll be a pro at deciphering which products to avoid. Please share this with everyone you know. We must warn others about the toxic ingredients lurking in our “favorite” food brands, or else sickness and disease will haunt those dear to us.
12 TIPS FOR LIVING LONGER
- COOK AT HOME – the best way to avoid harmful ingredients is to prepare your food at home. Take up a cooking class or watch cooking shows if you don’t know how to cook. Everyone should learn how to cook. Hate to cook? Buy your food at places like Whole Foods (just avoid anything they sell with corn).
- GO ORGANIC – try and stay away from conventional food. Price should never be an issue when it comes to your health. You’ll save money in the end because you won’t get a horrible disease or illness. Who wants to spend their hard earned money on prescription drugs and medical fees?
- AVOID PROCESSED AND PACKAGED CUISINE – the majority of them all contain stuff you don’t want in your body. Stay away from GMO lovers and those against GMO labeling, such as Kellogg’s, General Mills, Smucker’s, and Silk soy milk.
- SHOP AT YOUR LOCAL FARMERS MARKET – That way you’ll know you’re purchasing top-notch sustainably sourced food.
- WHOLE AND NATURAL FOODS – These foods are healthier and far more nutritious. Eating whole and natural food means you’re actually getting the vital nutrients your body needs. Eat food that is close to its natural state and your body won’t think it’s “starving.” No more overeating!
- LOOK AT THE FIRST THREE INGREDIENTS – That way you’ll know what you’re primarily feasting on. If the first word is sugar, put it back!
- STAY AWAY FROM HARD TO PRONOUNCE WORDS – If you can’t pronounce the ingredient, throw that food product back on the shelf or freezer.
- WAVE GOODBYE TO THE “OSE” FAMILY – Don’t let these inside your house: Señor Dextrose, Madam Fructose, and Captain Maltose. Who likes backstabbers anyway? Oh, and brown sugar isn’t always healthier. All they’ve done is add brown food coloring to white sugar.
- WHEAT ISN’T WHAT IT SEEMS – Wheat flour isn’t the same as “whole grain wheat flour.” Don’t let them trick you. Oh, and be very wary with Mr.Gluten.
- STAY AWAY FROM DECEPTIVE OILS AND FATS – If you see “trans fat” or “partially-hydrogenated” anywhere on that ingredient’s list, run!
- NEVER EAT FOODS WITH MONOSODIUM GLUTAMATE (MSG) – That is if you want to save your brain cells. Tip: It’s not just in Chinese food.
- HIGH FRUCTOSE CORN SYRUP IS YOUR ENEMY – Check out my article here if you’re still not convinced this ingredient is poison.