By: Vivien Veil
Want to know a beauty secret that will shave years off your age? This procedure is nothing new among the elite and celebrity kingdoms. With people like the late Princess Diana, Leonardo DiCaprio, Jennifer Aniston, Brad Pitt, Angelina Jolie, and Taylor Swift touting the effects of colon hydrotherapy, you’d be silly not to try it out. Plus, the word on the political street is that Barack Obama even received a treatment.
I must warn you though – a colonic isn’t exactly glamorous, so this topic may repel some of you. However, I urge you to read on. And no, this isn’t some quack fad. Honest. People ask me all the time, “What is the beauty tip you swear by?” I tell them up front, “Colonic Hydrotherapy! It’s made my life 100% healthier and happier.”
A colonic doesn’t induce relaxation like a facial or massage, and you may encounter some mild discomfort, but afterwards you’ll feel like a million bucks. You’ll be as light as a feather, and did I mention you’ll walk out with a flatter belly?
A model friend introduced me to colonics back in 2007 – so I can confidently say that I absolutely endorse the gravity centered colonic, which is the only kind of unit I recommend. I dabbled with the libbe colonic years ago, and it was unquestionably a waste of time and money. A brutal colonic method to say the least. So, please – always choose the gravity.
“All right already… What the heck is a colonic?”
A gravity colonic uses a thin tube to inject water into your rectum. The water then flushes waste matter that’s been dislodged inside your colon for months – sometimes even years! Believe it or not – not everything you ingest comes out of your body. Pork ribs, pancakes, burgers, and other junk food love camping out in your colon. Worst of all, they’re annoying guests who never leave. That’s why you need to kick them out with a hose. Did you know an overstuffed colon causes people to think they’re just fat? Guess again! It’s not always fat, my friends.
“Why do you get colonics?”
Three Words: Beat the Bloat. I suffered from irregularity issues and wasn’t going to the toilet every single day. That coupled with bloating meant I was a “crappy” girl, and that in turn made me uncomfortable and irritable. I thank my old SAD (Standard American Diet) lifestyle for that. Some days I couldn’t even button up my jeans – that was when I yelled, “Enough is enough!”
Yes, this isn’t a classy topic, but I don’t care. I’m here to save colons. Anyway, after completely modifying my eating habits, I started experiencing some pretty rough detox symptoms. That’s when the colonics helped the most. They enabled me to transition to healthier wholesome foods much easier. They’re an absolute must when undergoing a detoxification program – and will take your health to the next level.
“Well, I go to the toilet every day, so I don’t need a colonic.”
Master colon therapist Gil Jacobs says it perfectly:
If you looked at the amount of food you put in your body and mashed it up in a pasta pot, you’re not getting anything near that much out.
Another way to tell the state of your bowel is very easy. When you wake up in the morning after you go to the bathroom, suck in your midsection very deeply as you exhale. If you have a clean intestine that’s not holding waste, your belly button should be almost kissing your spine. The midsection should be a cavern. It should almost look like you’re starving to death. If you don’t get that, and all you can do is pull in a tiny bit, your intestine is full of matter and that’s not good.”
Five Benefits of Colonic Hydrotherapy
- Destroys Constipation – Colonic irrigation strengthens the bowel and gives it energy. Unlike laxatives, colonics don’t make your bowels lazy.
- Enhances Digestion – Wave goodbye to irritable bowel syndrome, bloating, and gas.
- Boosts Immune System – Some holistic practitioners profess that “all disease begins in the colon.” Colonics also create a healthy environment for friendly bacteria to grow. Plus, a cleaner colon guarantees you’ll absorb vitamins and minerals better.
- More Energy and Happier Moods – Helps relief fatigue and laziness, improves mental clarity, and combats mood swings.
- Anti-Aging and Brighter Skin – Colonics bring out clearer and glowing skin. It also assists with eczema, psoriasis, acne and other skin disorders.
Fives Tips for an Effective Colonic Session
- Hydrate – Make sure to drink loads of water. I’m talking about a minimum of 2 liters (about 9 cups) a day prior to your session.
- Eat your Vegetables – Scoff down lots of salads with kale, spinach, asparagus, cucumbers, and celery.
- Bust Out the Juicer – Drink fresh juices. And no, V8 juice doesn’t count. A healthy juice should include beetroot, carrot, celery, lemon and apple.
- Sayonara to Booze – Alcohol and good colonic sessions just don’t mix. Enough said.
- No Coffee or Sodas – Coffee dehydrates and sodas make you gassy. Both dehydration and gas are enemies to having a great colonic, so kiss them goodbye.
- Stay Away from Dairy, Meat, and Junk Food – All three will just make your colonic appointment more uncomfortable, and you risk a chance of not much “waste” coming out.
- Massage your Stomach – This helps produce more regular bowel movements. Simply massage your right side of the abdomen and work your way up clock-wise, and then across and down to the left side in small circles.
- Headstands – As strange as this sounds, they do help! Headstands help with digestion and also increase body heat. The pull of gravity helps clean out the intestines by releasing congested blood in the colon.
*DISCLAIMER: If you don’t follow these tips, you may risk wasting your money because not a lot of waste will come out during your colonic session. Do this a minimum of 5-7 days before the “BIG DAY!”
My Two Favorite Therapists
My favorite therapist in London is Kaori Murphy at the Hale Clinic. She’s everything you want from a colonic therapist – friendly, professional, and knows her stuff about nutrition and health. The thing I truly enjoy is that she massages your stomach the entire duration of the treatment, which means you’ll get more waste out. Out of the many therapists I’ve seen (and boy have I seen many in Europe and South Africa), Kaori is one of the best!
If you plan on receiving a colonic outside London, I suggest you seek a highly qualified colonic therapist who is a registered ARCH (Association and Register of Colonic Hydrotherapists) member.
My other favorite therapist is Rosalba Oaten at the Colon Health Centre. She’s based in Cape Town, South Africa and is on the money when it comes to colonics. She’s super knowledgeable, super friendly, and super fantastic. Just call her Super-Colonic-Woman. She’s definitely someone to see if you ever find yourself in beautiful South Africa.
I trust those two ladies implicitly!
Vivien Veil Rating 10/10
Prices vary according to who you see in the UK, but it’s usually between £85 to £90. To book an appointment with Kaori Murphy, visit www.haleclinic.com or contact her directly at firstname.lastname@example.org
To book an appointment with Rosalba Oaten, visit www.colonhealthcentre.co.za or contact her via email at email@example.com
Remember that colonics are not quick fixes – you still need to change your way of eating.