The frenzy surrounding vampires continues with a new film by American film director Tim Burton called Dark Shadows.
Tim Burton and Johnny Depp’s fascination with vampires spawned the production of this horror film based on the late 1960’s gothic soap opera of the same name.
The film stars favourite A-list actors Johnny Depp, Michelle Pfeiffer, Helena Bonham Carter, and Eva Green. What makes this vampire film different from Twilight and the rest? Well, Depp’s character Barnabas Collins won’t look anything like Edward Cullen.
Vampires looked nothing like Rob Pattinson or Kellan Lutz when they first graced screens. I believe the obsession for them stems from the way the media portrays them now – good looking and sexy.
Johnny Depp idolized the 1960’s drama Dark Shadows growing up, especially Barnabas Collins. He said:
“Barnabas Collins from ‘Dark Shadows’ was a huge obsession of mine. I loved Barnabas Collins more than I loved the Harlem Globetrotters.”
His adoration for Barnabas Collins made him try to look like him.
“I wanted to be Barnabas Collins so much that I found a ring, it was probably one of my mother’s rings, and I wore it on this finger, and I tried to comb my hair like Barnabas Collins, and I was trying to figure out how I could get fangs. It really had a heavy impact on me, a heavy influence on me.”
Depp’s dreams came true – thanks to his good friend Tim Burton. Interestingly enough, Depp filled a meditation room in one of his homes with vampire souvenirs. Now that’s real love for those blood sucking creatures.
Maybe Johnny Depp’s eccentric behaviour emerged after experiencing a “weird” childhood. He stated:
“When I was growing up I felt a complete freak. Very strange. I felt weird at five. At the age of 12 it was me against the world.
I remember locking myself in my bedroom and playing my guitar. It seemed like I was in there for two or three years.”
Depp’s insecurities led him to cut himself on his left forearm. His many scars showcase the intense pain he went through.
He told Talk magazine:
“It was really just whatever [times when he hurt himself] — good times, bad times, it didn’t matter. There was no ceremony. It wasn’t like ‘Okay, this just happened, I have to go hack a piece of my flesh off.'”
He told Details magazine in 1993:
“My body is a journal in a way. It’s like what sailors used to do, where every tattoo meant something, a specific time in your life when you make a mark on yourself, whether you do it yourself with a knife or with a professional tattoo artist.”
INTERESTING FACTS ABOUT JOHNNY DEPP:
- He is a self-taught guitarist
- Depp has been in a relationship with French singer and actress Vanessa Paradis since 1998. They both have two children
- He has 7-8 self inflicted scars
- He used to work as a telemarketer for pens
- Nicolas Cage told Depp to pursue acting
- Depp used to be engaged to actress Winona Ryder for three years. He also dated British model Kate Moss for four years.
- Depp has 13 tattoos
- Back in 2010, he defended three men who killed three children in a “satanic ritual” style murder. He said:“I firmly believe Damien Echols, Jason Baldwin and Jessie Misskelley are totally innocent. It was a need for swift justice to placate the community.”
- Johnny is listed in the 2012 Guinness Book of World Records as the highest paid actor with $75 million bucks!